FRISCO (AP) – FC Dallas has signed a Plano teenager to his first pro team contract under the homegrown player rule in Major League Soccer.
With the signing Thursday of Kellyn Acosta, FC Dallas now has seven players under a rule that allows clubs to sign players who have participated in their development academy for at least a year. Only Toronto FC has signed as many under the 2008 provision.
Acosta, who turns 17 on July 24, is part of the U.S. Under-18 national team player pool. He will be available for selection at the start of the 2013 MLS season.
Acosta scored nine times while starting 27 of 28 games during the 2011-12 FC Dallas development academy season.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- North Texas Middle School Principal Indicted
- Dallas Mavericks: Destruction Complete!
- Motorcyclist Dies During Garland Police Chase
- Drivers Stop I-30 Traffic To Watch Fair Park Fireworks
- Children Stranded In Dallas After Mother Dies