Cowboys 20, Rams 19: My Top 10 CBS Contemplations
Buy Cowboys Tickets
10. Cowboys must cut to 75 by 3p today. Gone (injured) for sure are Caleb McSurdy, Donovan Kemp and Kevin Kowalski. And receiver Raymond Radway was released this morning. Sad, the McKinney North High School had this team made last summer until breaking his leg on the final play of the preseason in Miami.
9. We might be looking at a wasted rookie year for 4th-round draft pick Matt Johnson. He missed OTAs because his school (Eastern Washington) was taking late finals. In Oxnard he immediately pulled a hammy and in Saturday night’s game pulled it again. Probably looking at starting the year on PUP, which means missing the first 6 weeks.
8. A couple years ago it was Jerry Jones causing a buzz with his Papa John’s dancing. Now it’s his rapping in a TV commercial.
7. Cowboys are toying with the idea of keeping 7 receivers on the roster. Which, of course, is unheard of. If so, they would be Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Kevin Ogletree, Dwayne Harris, Cole Beasley, Andre Holmes and Danny Coale.
6. Kiss Cam never fails to deliver. After a handful of sweet pecks exchanged on JumboJerry, a man made us all giggle when, instead of kissing his lady, he simply licked the length of her face.
5. Up: Felix Jones, Mo Claiborne and Kevin Ogletree; Down: Tyron Smith, Dan Connor, replacement refs.
4. Give credit to Rams’ head coach Jeff Fisher for not going for 2 and attempting to tie the game with 2 minutes left. But also blame him for calling a fake punt earlier in the game. That’s weak.
3. So, along with a new mentor in Jay Novacek, Dez Bryant has new rules. No alcohol. No strip clubs. Driven everywhere. In other words, “The Josh Hamilton Babysitting Blueprint” is in effect. We saw it in Oxnard when Dez dined at BJ’s Brewhouse with a Cowboys’ official watching closely near his booth.
2. Dwayne Harris jokingly refers to himself as “Mr. Everything.” Maybe we should edit that to “Mr. August.” On August 11, 2011 Harris, then a rookie, opened eyes with 5 catches for 127 yards and 2 touchdowns in a pre-season game against the Broncos. And on Saturday he produced two more scores in an exhibition game. In the last two Augusts Hair-iss has TD catches of 76 and 61 yards.
1. Most troubling scene was Pro Bowl nose tackle Jay Ratliff leaving Cowboys Stadium on crutches. He missed most off-season work with foot probs and is now dealing with the dreaded high ankle sprain. He’s doubtful for Sept. 5 vs. Giants, meaning more playing time Josh Brent and Sean Lissemore. In other words, that’s a significant drop-off right up the Cowboys’ defensive gut.
(© Copyright 2012 CBS Local Media a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out: