NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – If you’ve been putting off getting your flu shot experts advise you reconsider the approach. The virus has already started to make its way across Texas.
Lab tests have confirmed a handful of influenza cases and they involve both the A and B strains.
“So far what we have seen have been some cases of influenza B and some cases of influenza type A, primarily of the H3 and H2 variety,” Baylor College of Medicine Dr. Pedro Piedra explained.
The type A strain of the virus is associated with pandemics — remember the Swine Flu — and is particularly dangerous for one group.
“When we have major influenza A, H3N2 outbreaks one will often see much higher deaths in the elderly adults,” Piedra said.
Both influenza A and B types are equally dangerous for children. Doctors advise that everyone older than six months to get vaccinated. Keep in mind the vaccinations build up to ultimate protection, so it takes about two weeks for it to become fully effective.
Dallas County Health and Human Services if offering free flu immunizations to the public beginning throughout the flu season.
The vaccine will be available for free in both the adult and children’s immunization clinics on the first floor of the DCHHS building at 2377 North Stemmons Freeway in Dallas.
The clinics are open from 8 A.M. to 4 P.M. Monday through Friday. The vaccine is also available for both children and adults at their other clinic locations:
- 3312 North Buckner Boulevard, Suite 200 in Dallas
- 1113 East Jefferson Boulevard, Suite 200 in Dallas
- 8202 Spring Valley Road, Suite #200 in Dallas
- 400 South Nursery Road, in Irving
- 2774 Valwood Parkway in Farmers Branch
Tarrant County Public Health locations are offering flu vaccinations at a cost of $20, with Medicaid and Medicare Part B accepted.
The shots are available at the following Tarrant County Public Health Center locations:
- 536 W. Randol Mill Road, Arlington, 76011
- 3212 Miller Avenue, Fort Worth, 76119
- 4200 S. Freeway, Fort Worth, 76115
- 3800 Adam Grubb Road, Lake Worth, 76135
- 6551 Granbury Road, Fort Worth, 76133
- 6601 Watauga Road, Suite 122, Watauga, 76148
Also Check Out: