HOUSTON (AP) - A Texas woman has been sentenced to 80 years in prison after being convicted of felony murder in the death of a child killed in a fire at her Houston home day care.
Jessica Tata was sentenced Tuesday. A jury convicted her last week in the death of 16-month-old Elias Castillo. She faced up to life in prison.
Prosecutors say Tata left several children alone with a pan of oil on a stove while she shopped at Target. The 2011 fire also injured three other children.
Tata’s attorneys argued at trial that faulty kitchen equipment could have sparked the blaze. They said the 24-year-old made a mistake leaving the kids alone, but did not commit murder.
Tata also is charged with felony murder in the other three deaths.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- ‘Cops & Robbers’ Game Goes Over Badly With Cops
- Pet Medicine Becoming Human Business
- Massive Explosion & Chemical Fire At Garland Plant
- Court Cries After Girl’s Letter To Drunk Driver
- Military Veterans Killed In Midland Train Wreck