DENVER (AP) - Dish Network Corp. says it plans to close about 300 Blockbuster stores across the country, losing about 3,000 employees.
Company spokesman John Hall told The Denver Post on Monday that the closures will leave about 500 Blockbuster locations in the U.S. Blockbuster is owned by Dish Network.
Dish Network last year also shuttered about 500 underperforming Blockbuster locations. Hall says the stores that will be closed in coming weeks are either underperforming or nearing the end of their leases.
He says the 3,000 employees were informed about the latest closures on Friday. The store locations have not been announced.
Colorado-based Dish Network in March 2011 bought the then-bankrupt video rental chain for $320 million. It plans to move Blockbusters’ headquarters from Texas to Colorado’s Douglas County.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Man Shoots Self At North Texas Shopping Mall
- Victim Critical After Lewisville House Explosion
- Texas Man Reunited With Dog Who Had Been Missing After Crash
- Person Off Overpass Closes Lanes Of I-635 Dallas
- Live NICU Cameras Let Parents ‘Peek-A-Boo’ At Babies