Sunday Funeral Scheduled For Pianist Van Cliburn
FORT WORTH (AP) — A weekend funeral is scheduled for Van Cliburn, the celebrated pianist whose virtuosity triumphed over the Cold War.
Family spokesman Tom Stoker says a funeral is scheduled for 3-5 p.m. Sunday at the Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, where Cliburn worshiped for decades. Entombment at the mausoleum at Greenwood Memorial Park will follow.
Stoker says services will be open to the public, as will a 4-6 p.m. Saturday visitation at the church.
Cliburn died Wednesday at 78 after fighting bone cancer. He had played for every American president since Harry Truman, plus royalty and heads of state around the world. But he is best remembered for winning the first International Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow in 1958, as the height of the Cold War.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Plano Police Warn Hispanic Men Of Violent Attacks
- North Texas Dad Indicted For Carving Pentagram On Son
- Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes
- DISD Approves School Security Upgrades
- College Players Pepper Sprayed After Basketball Game
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES