AUSTIN (AP) - Thousands of protesters are expected to march on the Texas Capitol to demand that lawmakers expand Medicaid to include an additional 1.5 million poor people.
Families of the poor and disabled say they will join health care providers on Tuesday in also demanding that Texas fully reimburse doctors for their treatment.
Republican lawmakers have so far refused to expand Medicaid, complaining that the system is broken. But advocates say that if legislators properly funded the program it would work properly. They also want the Legislature to approve $15 billion in additional spending over the next 10 years to pull down $100 billion in matching federal funds.
Perry and Republican leaders have said they will expand Medicaid if the state is exempted from federal regulations. Compromise talks are under way.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Plano Police Warn Hispanic Men Of Violent Attacks
- North Texas Dad Indicted For Carving Pentagram On Son
- Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes
- DISD Approves School Security Upgrades
- College Players Pepper Sprayed After Basketball Game
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES