AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) — With ceremonial tee shots from three of golf’s greatest players, the Masters has started on an overcast day.
Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Gary Player — with 13 green jackets between them — each struck a ball off the first tee to begin the first major of the year Thursday.
Then they stepped aside for the first group: Sandy Lyle, John Peterson and amateur Nathan Smith. Lyle and Smith both left the opening hole with bogeys.
Four-time Masters champion Tiger Woods comes into the week as the overwhelming favorite. He already has three wins this year and reclaimed the No. 1 spot in the world rankings.
But Woods has gone eight long years since his last win at Augusta. He’s scheduled to tee off at 10:45 a.m.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Kaufman County DA Mike McLelland And Wife Found Dead
- Victoria’s Secret’s New Lingerie Line Has Parents Outraged
- Homeowner Says 911 Hung Up On Them
- I-Team Investigates Identity Theft Targets In Texas
- Troopers Indicted After Roadside Cavity Search Of Two Women
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES