LUBBOCK (AP) – Texas Tech University has created an institute that combines research and education in wind science, engineering and energy.
A school statement says the creation of the National Wind Institute combines Tech’s former Wind Science and Engineering research center and the Texas Wind Energy Institute into one entity.
The school says its wind research dates back to 1970, when the May 11 Lubbock tornado killed 26 people and destroyed large sections of the city. After that, faculty from the Tech civil engineering department and atmospheric sciences group started thinking about what could be done to minimize the effects from severe weather events, including tornadoes and hurricanes.
The school has expanded into the wind energy sector in the past 15 years as well.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- I-Team: Website Allows Users To Rate Prostitutes
- Fort Worth Teen Arrested With Pressure Cooker, Fertilizer In Trunk
- Keller ISD Alum Among 4 Killed In Crash
- Police Searching For Missing North Richland Hills Teen
- West Fertilizer Plant Explosion Cause Could Take Weeks
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES