AUSTIN (AP) - More Texas troopers will be on patrol over the Memorial Day weekend watching for speeders, drunken drivers and travelers not wearing seat belts.
The Department of Public Safety says increased holiday patrols will begin Friday and run through the Monday holiday.
DPS troopers last Memorial Day weekend arrested 609 DWI violators and wrote more than 6,000 speeding citations. DPS also had nearly 1,400 seat belt and child safety restraint tickets. The agency says 825 drivers were cited for not having insurance.
Troopers also arrested 264 fugitives and 219 people with outstanding felony warrants. DPS says 16 stolen vehicles were recovered during the year-ago holiday period.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- 6 Dead After North Texas Tornado Outbreak
- West First Responder Posts Erratic Facebook Messages
- Duncanville Teacher On Leave After Student Viral Video Rant
- Nordstrom No Longer Tracking Customer Phones
- Severe Weather Pictures: May 15, 2013
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES