(AP/CBSDFW.COM) — Alabama is No. 1 in the USA Today preseason coaches’ poll.
The Crimson Tide was an overwhelming choice, receiving 58 of 62 first-place votes. Ohio State was second and received three first-place votes. Oregon is No. 3, Stanford is 4, Georgia is five and No. 6 Texas A&M received the other first-place vote.
Half the top 10 is from the Southeastern Conference, which has won the last seven national championships, including three in the last four years by Alabama.
South Carolina is No. 7 and Florida is No. 10. No. 8 Clemson and No. 9 Louisville round out the top 10. No. 12 LSU gives the SEC six teams in the top 25.
Notre Dame, which lost the BCS title game 42-14 to Alabama last season, is No. 11.
For the first time in the history of the Big 12 Conference, no teams were ranked within the top 10 to begin the season. Oklahoma State is the top ranked Big 12 team at 14, while Texas (15), Oklahoma (16), and TCU (20) also made the list.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:
- Jerry Jones Apologizes For ‘Inappropriate’ Comment Amid Growing Tension With Goodell
- Jerry Jones: ‘It’s Not Who I Am’ Regarding Comment
- Keidel: Raiders Need Win Way More Than Patriots Do
- Keselowski Views NASCAR Finale As “Opportunity To Add To My Legacy”
- TCU Has Big 12 Title Hopes Heading Into Game At Texas Tech