WAXAHACHIE (CBS 11 NEWS) – A youth coach has been sentenced to 15 days in jail after an Ellis County jury convicted him of throwing baseballs at one of his players.
Witnesses testified that Ron Santos, 26, threw 12 to 15 baseballs directly at the child at speeds between 60 – 80 mph during practice. The child was severely bruised by the injuries, with the balls thrown so hard that impressions of the seams were left on his body.
Santos said the he threw the balls to get the child to stay in the batter’s box. He argued it was part of his training for the select baseball team he coached.
As part of his punishment, Santos will also be on community supervision for 18 months and required to produce a video showing the dangers of being hit by a pitch. He is also banned from throwing any pitches to batters or players for one year and must pay a $500 fine.
- Top NFL Merchandise Sales? It’s All About QBs And Cowboys
- Trump Campaign Downplays Clinton’s Cash Advantage
- Exxon Mobil Tops 3Q Profit Forecasts, Earns $2.65B
- Amazon Courting Holiday Food Shoppers
- Texas Metro Areas To See Health Premium Spikes