WAXAHACHIE (CBS 11 NEWS) – A youth coach has been sentenced to 15 days in jail after an Ellis County jury convicted him of throwing baseballs at one of his players.
Witnesses testified that Ron Santos, 26, threw 12 to 15 baseballs directly at the child at speeds between 60 – 80 mph during practice. The child was severely bruised by the injuries, with the balls thrown so hard that impressions of the seams were left on his body.
Santos said the he threw the balls to get the child to stay in the batter’s box. He argued it was part of his training for the select baseball team he coached.
As part of his punishment, Santos will also be on community supervision for 18 months and required to produce a video showing the dangers of being hit by a pitch. He is also banned from throwing any pitches to batters or players for one year and must pay a $500 fine.
- DCHHS Confirms 3rd Zika Virus Case In Dallas County
- Twitter Makes Timeline Changes To Resemble Facebook
- Andy Dalton Seeks Public’s Help After Losing Bags On Way To Airport
- RFK’s Assassin Seeking Parole For 15th Time
- U.S. Women’s Soccer Team To Be Briefed On Zika Virus