BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Actor Jamie Foxx will host a concert next month in Birmingham to help mark the city’s role in the civil rights movement.
The BBVA Concert for Human Rights will be held on Sept. 14, the eve of the 50th anniversary of the deadly bombing of Birmingham’s Sixteenth Street Baptist Church.
The show will include singer-songwriter Jill Scott and R&B performer Charlie Wilson.
Foxx says in a statement he is looking forward to participating in the event, which will be held at the BJCC Arena. Foxx is originally from Terrell, Texas.
Ku Klux Klansmen detonated a bomb outside the downtown Birmingham church on Sept. 15, 1963, killing four black girls. The city is marking the 50th anniversary of the attack with a week of events.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Texas Panel Suspends License Of Man Accused In Opioid Deaths
- A Look At Plans For New Rides And More At Disney Parks
- 2017 Sun Belt Football Preview
- US To Ban American Citizens From Travel To North Korea
- Hugh Freeze Resigns As Ole Miss Football Coach After 5 Seasons