DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – North Texas on Friday is honoring the life and legacy of former Dallas City Council member Leo Chaney Jr., who died earlier this week in a fire at his south Dallas home. He was 62 years old. Chaney served on the council for eight years, from 1999 until 2007.
Those who worked with Chaney on council projects remember him as a civic leader and faithful advocate for his district and the city.
Chaney fought to limit alcohol sales in neighborhoods, and led neighborhood revitalization projects in both south Dallas and far east Dallas. He is also being remembered for work on the Bexar Street corridor, making sure that the revitalization project was funded and completed.
Chaney died on Monday after a fire at his home. Family members suspect that it was smoke inhalation that killed him, and that the fire was caused by an electrical problem.
At a city council meeting on Wednesday, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said that he took great pride in having been able to work with Chaney before being elected to office. “I got to meet him in my time working with the homeless, and he was an advocate for that effort,” the Dallas leader said.
Chaney will lie in repose at the Hall of State at Fair Park from noon until 7:00 p.m. on Friday. His funeral service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday at True Lee Missionary Baptist Church in south Dallas.
- Police Investigate Burglary At Oak Cliff Restaurant
- Release: Most Successful Texas State Fair In 130-Year History
- Average Gasoline Price Down 4 Cents To $2.25 A Gallon
- FC Dallas Wins Supporters’ Shield In 0-0 Draw With Galaxy
- Police Investigating Double Homicide In Fort Worth