Plano Reports First Two Human West Nile Cases
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) - Two Plano residents have been diagnosed with West Nile Fever, a less severe form of the West Nile Virus.
This marks the first time this season that a human case has been reported in Plano.
The two cases were reported in ZIP codes 75025 and 75094. No additional information is being released to protect patient confidentiality.
Plano has set up a hotline to answer questions about West Nile Virus at (972) 941-7180.
Click here to for information on Plano’s Integrated Mosquito Management Program.
Last year, there were 76 human cases of West Nile Virus in Collin County and 28 in Plano.
- Daley, Demers Lead Stars Over Blues 4-3
- Good Samaritan Who Stopped Assault Breaks Silence
- Dallas Love Field On ‘Security Hold’ Due To Suspicious Bag
- Cowboys’ McClain Out Against Redskins With Illness
- Two People Shot In Fair Park Take To Hospital
- Airline Reservation System Back Up After Failure
- George Zimmerman Stopped For Speeding In North Texas
- 4 Dead & 4 Wounded In 2 Related DFW Shootings
- PHOTOS: Local Mugshots
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures
The Environmental Health department continues to follow Plano’s Integrated Mosquito Management Program by identifying areas for mosquito habitat reduction, monitoring for mosquito activity, and applying mosquito larvicide and spray abatement measures as necessary.
Successful management of the area mosquito population and protection of residents is a cooperative effort between City staff and residents. Residents are advised to exercise the following preventive measures:
· Reduce mosquito breeding habitats by draining standing water, high grass and brush at home
· Maintain swimming pools
· Use mosquito repellant containing DEET or an alternative compound approved by the Environmental Protection Agency
· Avoid outdoor exposure when mosquitoes are most active – times near dawn and dusk
Call the City of Plano’s West Nile Virus Information Hotline at (972) 941-7180 for answers to most commonly asked questions regarding the Virus, suggestions for at-home prevention measures, and detailed information about the City’s mosquito vector control.
For additional information and updates on Plano’s Integrated Mosquito Management Program: plano.gov/westnilevirus.