MESQUITE (CBSDFW.COM) — Authorities evacuated the UPS distribution center in Mesquite on Thursday after an employee discovered a “suspicious” object.
The object was discovered around 7:30 a.m. by an employee who was repackaging a briefcase-sized package.
Sources at the scene described the package as a pipe with wires sticking out of it.
“What looks like a bomb sometimes is and sometimes isn’t,” said Mesquite Fire Department Captain Kelly Turner. “Sometimes people package things in such a way that makes us a little nervous — it obviously did the people at UPS.”
Though the object has not been identified, Turner says it was “disarmed”. Authorities, including the FBI, are now trying to determine if it was an explosive device.
Trucks attempting to enter the facility were temporarily sent to Town East Mall to wait.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- It’s Finally Here! Opening Day At The State Fair Of Texas
- Trump Injects Bill Clinton Scandals Into 2016 Race
- Tulsa Officer Expected To Plead Not Guilty To Manslaughter
- Fresh Start For Oklahoma In Big 12 Opener At No. 21 TCU
- Mahomes, Shimonek Each Throw For 4 TDs To Beat Kansas 55-19