DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dozens of Dallas students went go to school the old fashioned on Monday morning. They had been getting picked up by taxis, vans and even private cars. But that all changed, as the yellow school buses were back on duty.
The school year began with chaos and confusion for some students in the Dallas Independent School District. While expecting to see those traditional school buses roll through the neighborhood, they were shocked to find alternative car services instead.
This year, the Dallas ISD expanded an existing special student car service — from 500 kids to more than 2,000. The children who use this car service include those attending special academic campuses, as well as deaf and special needs students.
Parents said that they were confused when taxis and private cars arrived to take their kids to school. Few families liked the idea. “This week was efficient and good,” said parent Cathy Troy. “As long as the drivers were checked out. That was my concern.”
“All they really need to do is just communicate with us a little bit more,” said parent Kevin Younger. “Just coming out of the blue with that, it wasn’t really right.”
Overall, parents were not happy with the idea. So, the yellow buses were put back into service, rolling out again on Monday morning.
“Old yellow school bus,” said parent Chris Williams. “You can’t take that out of school. It’s like taking those No. 2 pencils out of there. It’s just part of school, and I think it should stay, and I’m glad they’re going back to it.”
Not all students were picked up by yellow buses on Monday morning. The district said that it will take some time to complete the transition and update existing bus routes. But eventually, the car service plan will be a thing of the past.
- Oak Cliff Library Checks Out More Than Books
- North Texas Woman Gets $55,000 Hotel Bill For ‘Unspecified Damages’
- Promising Wonder Pill Adds Years To Dog’s Life
- Rangers To Retire Uniform Number Of Ivan ‘Pudge’ Rodriguez
- President Trump Signs First Executive Order Regarding Obamacare
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time