ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — George Strait will finish off his two-year farewell tour in the biggest house in his home state of Texas — the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium.
The country superstar held a rare news conference Monday at the stadium to announce the last leg of his The Cowboy Rides Away tour. Strait’s concert in June of 2009 was the first event at the new stadium often called “Jerry World.”
He announced he was retiring from the road last year but still plans to record, recently agreeing to a deal for five more studio albums.
Strait will take a who’s who of country music on the road, including Merle Haggard, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Eric Church, Sheryl Crow and Ronnie Dunn.
A date for the final show has not yet been announced. “It’s going to be quite an event. It’s going to be a big show,” said promoter and President of the Messina Group, Louis Messina. “It’s going to be a record breaking event….and we want to keep it somewhat of a surprise anyway. Trust me, it’s going to be a history making night.”
The 61-year-old kicks off Jan. 9 and plans stops in Nashville, Los Angeles, Chicago and Foxborough, Mass., the first of two stadium shows to end the tour. Fans will be able to buy tickets starting on September 27 at 10 a.m. in select markets or at http://www.georgestrait.com.
“The first leg of the tour earlier this year was very fun, but also very emotional,” said Strait. “Every city and venue holds such great memories. I’m really looking forward to seeing our fans out on the road in 2014.”
A complete listing of the concert dates is below:
- January 9, 2014 CenturyLink│Bossier City, La.
- January 10, 2014 Frank Erwin Center│Austin, Texas
- January 17, 2014 CenturyLink Center│Omaha, Neb.
- January 18, 2014 Sprint Center│Kansas City, Mo.
- January 30, 2014 SAP Center│San Jose, Calif.
- January 31, 2014 Valley View Casino Center│San Diego, Calif.
- February 1, 2014 MGM Grand Arena│Las Vegas, Nev.
- February 7, 2014 US Airways Center│Phoenix, Ariz.
- February 8, 2014 Staples Center│Los Angeles, Calif.
- February 14, 2014 The Palace of Auburn Hills │Auburn Hills, Mich.
- February 15, 2014 Nationwide Arena│Columbus, Ohio
- February 28, 2014 Wells Fargo Arena│Philadelphia, Pa.
- March 1, 2014 Prudential Center│Newark, N.J.
- March 7, 2014 KFC Yum! Arena│Louisville, Ky.
- March 8, 2014 Allstate Arena│Chicago, Ill.
- March 21, 2014 Bridgestone Arena│Nashville, Tenn.
- March 22, 2014 Philips Arena│Atlanta, Ga.
- April 4, 2014 Intrust Bank Arena│ Wichita, Kan.
- April 5, 2014 Pepsi Center│Denver, Colo.
- April 11, 2014 The Moda Center│Portland, Ore.
- April 12, 2014 Tacoma Dome│Tacoma, Wash.
- April 18, 2014 Wells Fargo Arena│Des Moines, Iowa
- April 19, 2014 BOK Arena│Tulsa, Okla.
- May 23, 2014 LSU Tiger Stadium Bayou Country Superfest │Baton Rouge, La.
- May 31, 2014 Gillette Stadium │ Foxborough, Mass.
- TBD AT&T Stadium │Dallas, Texas
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- ‘Cash Me Outside’ Girl Danielle Bregoli Bringing Tour To Texas
- Manchester Victims On Donnie Wahlberg’s Mind Ahead Of NKOTB Show In Dallas
- New Helmet Technology Isn’t A Cure-All For Football’s Concussion Issues
- Stephen King Refers To ISIS As “Rogue Cult”
- Tony Romo To Make CBS Debut At Dean & DeLuca Invitational
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time