DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Big Tex is back home in Fair Park. Crews returned the rebuilt mechanical cowboy Friday.
But the cultural icon is hiding out for now under a large white tent.
Big Tex went up in flames in the final days of the State Fair last year. Investigators later determined the fire started with an electrical spark in Big Tex’s right boot.
Big Tex’s reincarnation will stand 55 feet tall; three feet taller than before. Also, the new and improved Big Tex is a stand-alone model — no guy wires needed. Big Tex was supported by guy wires in the past, to make him stable. But the fair wanted to forgo the guy wires, which means the structure needs to weigh more to withstand windy weather conditions.
Big Tex will greet people when the 2013 State Fair of Texas opens September 27th.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Romo On Cowboys Practice Field For First Time All Season
- Police Investigate Vandalizing Of Trump’s Hollywood Star
- TxDOT Preparing Equipment For Winter Weather
- Stolen Base At World Series Means Free Taco At Taco Bell
- ‘Good Housekeeping’ Picks The Best Toys Of 2016
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time