DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The man who was once considered a person of interest in a series of rapes that terrorized South Dallas was released from jail Sunday morning.
Alan Mason, 29, spent 9 days in jail on a probation violation stemming from a 2010 DWI case and outstanding traffic tickets. Mason received time served, according to the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department.
Mason’s name was officially cleared as a person of interest on Sept. 12, but Mason said the damage to his reputation had already been done.
Dallas Police publicly named him as a person of interest on Sept. 5. Days later, DNA pointed to Van Dralan Dixson as the suspect. Afterward, police refused to apologize to Mason, saying they had never officially called him a suspect.
“A person of interest and a suspect, that’s a really fine line, person of interest with a picture with these crimes associated with it,” Mason said. “In the public view, I’m guilty,”
Now he says he’s left to pick up the pieces of his reputation.
“I wasn’t given my due diligence as far as an investigation. If there was some type of investigation, it would have been clear they were way off,” he said.
Mason endured 7 days in jail before his name was officially cleared.
“It’s horrible in jail. They don’t treat you like human, they treat you like you’re less than human,” he said. “I’m no rapist so to be treated as such, it was really degrading.”
First thing Monday, Mason will head back to his job as an insurance agent. Before this ordeal, he had planned to one day open his own insurance agency. Now he says he’s unsure if that is still possible.
“I’m anxious. I’m glad I still have a job but I still don’t know how people are going to react or what they are going to say,” he said.
Mason, so far, has no plans to pursue legal action. However, he is seeking legal counsel.
The suspect, Van Dixson, was captured in Baton Rouge, Louisiana by U.S. Marshalls. He remains in jail there and is awaiting extradition back to Texas.
- Plano Council Member Hoping To Keep Job
- Police Investigating Dallas Cowboys Player For Domestic Violence
- UT And Coppell’s Connor Williams Likely First Round Pick In NFL Draft
- President Bush Admitted To Hospital With Blood Infection
- Police: 10 Killed, 15 Injured In Toronto Van Attack
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time