Texas Jobless Rate Slips To 6.4 Percent
AUSTIN (AP) – Texas unemployment rate fell slightly in August to 6.4 percent, the Texas Workforce Commission said Friday.
Last month’s seasonally adjusted jobless rate compares to 6.5 percent in July, TWC officials said. The U.S. unemployment rate in August was 7.3 percent.
The Midland area had Texas’ lowest jobless rate last month, at 3.2 percent. The rate was 3.9 percent in the neighboring Odessa area. The McAllen-Edinburg-Mission area had the highest unemployment statewide at 10.8 percent, commission figures show.
“Every major industry in Texas showed positive annual job growth and Texas employers added 274,700 jobs over the year,” said Andres Alcantar, TWC chairman. “We encourage Texans to visit their local Workforce Solutions office to access the many job search tools available to them free of charge.”
An upward revision of July’s total nonfarm employment figures showed 36,800 jobs added. Total nonfarm employment in August decreased slightly by a net total of 6,400 jobs. Texas has added 26,600 jobs over the last three months, according to the TWC.
Employers in mining and logging expanded their payrolls last month, adding 1,900 jobs to the industry, which has the highest annual growth rate among the major industries in Texas at 5.5 percent, TWC figures show. Professional and business services added 2,900 jobs in August.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cowboys ‘Comfortable’ With Coming New Dez Deal
- Rangers Continue HR Streak In 4-2 Loss To Orioles
- Switzerland: US Seeks Extradition Of 7 FIFA Officials
- Chicharito Injures Collarbone As Mexico Ties Honduras
- Japan Advances To Face US In World Cup Final Rematch
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time