DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Family and friends took to the streets Saturday to raise money for a little boy who was shot in a cruel and senseless attack.
Eight-year-old Donald Maiden Junior, also known as DJ, was shot in the jaw as he played outside his Lake Highland’s apartment complex. It was a violent, tragic incident, which is now the catalyst for people who don’t want it to happen again.
“We’re not watching the news and watching it happen in another state,” said Maiden family friend Michelle Fisher. “This is here… an 8-year-old victim, an innocent boy shot randomly for no reason at all.”
Resilient as he is small, DJ has undergone multiple surgeries at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. “DJ is a survivor. He is getting through this. He’s pushing through this,” said Fisher.
But DJ’s medical expenses are piling up, which is why Saturday’s fundraiser took place.
The man accused of shooting the young boy, Brian Cloninger, 46, is in jail. His bond is set at $2.2 million. Police are still trying to determine Cloninger’s motive.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 10 Sailors Missing After U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Ship
- Gonzalez Pitches 6 Scoreless, White Sox Hold Off Rangers 3-2
- Trump To Make Announcement On Strategy For Afghanistan
- Sink Hole Develops On Haltom City Road
- Eclipse Eve: Millions Converge Across US To See Sun Go Dark
- If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Gig ‘Em
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures