Anti-Social Gorilla Patrick To Leave Dallas Zoo
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Patrick the gorilla wants solitude, and the Dallas Zoo is granting his wish.
The 430-pound anti-social gorilla who’s spent 18 years at the Dallas Zoo will be moved to a South Carolina facility for a more solitary existence.
The Dallas Zoo on Monday announced the planned transfer of 23-year-old Patrick to the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden in Columbia, S.C.
Dallas Zoo officials for years tried to create social relationships for Patrick. His response to female gorillas ranged from indifference to aggression.
“We have tried for years to socialize Patrick with other gorillas,” said Lynn Kramer, D.V.M., vice president of animal operations for the Dallas Zoo. “It’s become clear that he prefers to live a solitary life. This move will allow Patrick to continue to thrive while creating an opportunity for our four remaining males to form a cohesive bachelor group.”
Zoo veterinarian Lynn Kramer says it’s clear that Patrick prefers a solitary life. Dallas Zoo officials will now concentrate on working with other male gorillas in a species survival plan.
No move date was announced for Patrick, who was born in New York at the Bronx Zoo but due to maternal neglect was moved to the Toronto Zoo, then Texas.
The Dallas Zoo is offering a reduced $5 admission on Sept. 28-29 to allow visitors to say goodbye to Patrick as part of the “We’ll Miss Ya, Patrick!” celebration.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Arrest Made In Dallas Homicide
- Cowboys RB Murray Runs Off With Offensive Player
- Three People Wounded In Nightclub Shooting
- Hundreds Gather To Celebrate Life Of Dallas Artist Roosevelt Wilkerson.
- Former Cowboy Charles Haley Among NFL Hall Of Fame Inductees
- If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Gig ‘Em
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures