NEAR RICE (CBSDFW.COM) – For a second night, dozens gathered to pray in front of the growing memorial outside the house Navarro County where all five members of a family were killed in a murder-suicide.
The revelation Tuesday that it was the mother, 33-year-old Guadalupe Ronquillo-Ovalle, who investigators said pulled the trigger came as a shock to many of her friends.
Some still don’t believe it.
“I really don’t think she did it,” said Xenia Luebbano, who was in the same Bible study group as Ronquillo-Ovalle. “I’m going to get a lot of hate for this, but the way she was I just don’t think she did it.”
Close friends said they were aware she had a rocky relationship with her husband, 33-year-old Israel Alvarez.
They said she was suspicious and jealous.
Earlier this month, Alvarez spent two days in jail after a physical altercation with his wife over what friends said was a fight over messages left on her cell phone. Alvarez was cited for misdemeanor assault.
However, no one thought it would come to this.
“I don’t even have words for how I am feeling right now,” said Luebbano. “It’s just really sad.”
The director of the Southern Methodist University Family Counseling Center, Sarah Feuerbacher, Ph.D, said this case fits the profile of a woman who acts out violently.
“Women and men use violence differently,” she explained.
Men use violence for power, while women most often use it out of fear to end a relationship.
Feuerbacher said mothers who end up killing their children often view it in their minds as the only way of protecting them.
“Unfortunately a theme I’m starting to see is the only way I can end the pain, suffering, and abuse that is being brought down to my children is to stop the perpetrators,” she said. “Unfortunately, its twisted to I have to eliminate them too.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Dallas Mayor Calls Out Judges To Do Better Job At Taking Away Abuser’s Guns
- Nearly 2 Dozen Homes Flooded Near Lake Rockwall
- Dez Bryant: I Promise You I’m Going To Shut A Lot Of People Up
- Family Receives Closure After Vandals Destroy Loved One’s Grave
- Dallas Police Take On Richardson Police In Charity Hockey Game
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures