DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Metroplex got its first look at the State Fair’s biggest attraction on Thursday, just one day before the gates are opened to the public.
It has been nearly one year since the iconic Big Tex structure went up in flames and, hours before his official unveiling, Chopper 11 was able to peek in on the newly remodeled character.
Crews erected the improved Big Tex sometime early Thursday morning, keeping him covered by a curtain so that visitors on the ground did not get an early look. However, once news helicopters got into the air, the secret was out.
The sheet was scheduled to be dropped at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, letting the entire world see Big Tex’s makeover just as the State Fair of Texas started its yearly run at Fair Park in Dallas. But once the secret was spoiled, fair officials opted to uncover Big Tex a little bit early, at around 1:30 p.m. on Thursday afternoon.
Many people across North Texas recall that fateful October day when the fire happened, right as the fair was kicking off its final weekend of the year. The fire destroyed nearly all of Big Tex — leaving behind his hands and shirtsleeves. Officials determined that the fire started by an electrical spark in the statue’s right boot.
YouTube video from user Joe Romero shows the fire breaking out slowly, then quickly spreading.
- Dallas Homeowner Fights Off Home Invasion
- Little Elm Community Continues To Mourn Ahead Of Fallen Detective’s Funeral
- Brady Leads Patriots Back To Super Bowl With Win Over Steelers 36-17
- Ground Stop Lifted, United Airlines Flights Set To Resume
- Falcons Dominate Packers 44-21 For NFC Title
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures