DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – The padlocks are set to come off the gates as the 2013 State Fair of Texas opens in Dallas with food, festivities and football. The 127th annual expo opens on Friday in Fair Park with “The One and Only” as this year’s theme.
The new Big Tex will be dedicated on Friday afternoon, replacing the previous model that burned toward the end of last year’s fair. The icon was intended to be unveiled as the gates opened on Friday, but high winds and spying helicopters forced fair officials to uncover the statue a day earlier than anticipated. Tell us, what do you think of the new Big Tex?
On the main stage, the Western swing band Asleep at the Wheel performs for free on Friday night.
In the park stadium, Army plays Louisiana Tech in college football on Saturday afternoon. Grambling State and Prairie View A&M have their annual encounter on October 5, while Oklahoma takes on Texas on October 12 in the Red River Rivalry football matchup.
OPENING DAY VIDEO:
- Fast State Fair Rundown
- The View From Above The State Fair Of Texas
- Adorable Doggies At The State Fair Of Texas
- Mavs Legend Rolando Blackman At State Fair Of Texas
- Food May Be Biggest Draw At State Fair Of Texas
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Officer Shoots, Kills Suspect At Apartment Complex In Rockwall
- Fantasy Football Week 3 Starts And Sits
- Top Quarterbacks Guiding Teams To Top Of Big 12
- Oklahoma Takes 13-Game Winning Streak To Baylor
- Oklahoma State Meets TCU In Early Big 12 Showdown
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures