American Airlines Plans To Hire 1,500 Pilots
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH (AP) - American Airlines says it will hire 1,500 pilots over the next five years.
That’s in addition to recalling all of the airline’s pilots who have been furloughed.
American plans to start recruiting new pilots this fall. It’s already hiring 1,500 new flight attendants.
Airlines have resumed hiring pilots in part because a large number are hitting a new mandatory retirement age of 65. The age was raised from age 60 a little over five years ago.
American earned $71 million in August, after losing $82 million a year earlier. Revenue rose 7 percent to $2.34 billion.
American wants to exit bankruptcy protection in a merger with US Airways Group Inc. First it needs to get past an antitrust lawsuit filed by the Justice Department. A trial is planned for November.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man Arrested After Child Shot In Forest Hill
- 96,000 Pounds Of Oscar Mayer Hot Dogs Recalled
- Fort Worth Man Shot During Struggle With Intruder
- Lindsay Lohan Says She Had Miscarriage
- “Captain America” Tops Box Office For 3rd Week
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures