Online Delays Mark Day One Of Enrollment In ACA
NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Online delays mark day one of enrollment in federal healthcare.
As millions of uninsured Americans logged onto the Healthcare Marketplace website Tuesday morning, several states experienced delays or site-crashing.
Many people found the Texas portal to the federal healthcare insurance exchange to be back logged.
Sandra Luz, a lead navigator with the Community Council of Greater Dallas, found herself dealing with the Internet jam as she tried to log in to help other clients enroll on their own.
“It’s been very busy. We’ve been answering calls all day long,” Luz said.
Navigators like those on hand at the council will disperse throughout Dallas in the coming weeks, to community centers, libraries, clinics and other locations, as people who need insurance learn the system.
Enrollment lasts six months, but people who wish for benefits to take effect January 1st will need to choose a plan by mid December.
With the help of a navigator, Luis Veloz was able to apply for health care by mail today. He expects to get his paperwork back in a couple of weeks, to see which plans he is qualified to receive.
A scholarship student at SMU, Veloz says long-term medical problems prevented his parents from every affording coverage for their family in the past. He now sees the Affordable Care Act as an opportunity for more people than just himself.
“It’s a huge step for me and my family. It’s one of the biggest blessings in my life,” Veloz said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers Notebook: Josh Hamilton To Texas
- Waxahachie Residents Say Worst Flooding In Years
- Early Voting Begins In Arlington
- Clean Up Continues As Flood Waters Recede In Johnson County
- 5 Preeminent Boxers Of The Past 30 Years
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures