HALTOM CITY (AP) – State Sen. Wendy Davis is getting ready to announce her political plans.
The Fort Worth Democrat has an announcement scheduled for Thursday in the blue-collar Fort Worth suburb of Haltom City. Two people with knowledge of the decision have told The Associated Press that she will seek the Democratic nomination for Texas Governor.
The 50-year-old Davis is the state senator who catapulted to national stardom this summer with a nearly 13-hour filibuster in the Texas Capitol to block new statewide abortion restrictions. Her filibuster failed to stop the measure.
No other Texas Democrats have entered the governor’s race. Republican Attorney General Greg Abbott announced his candidacy this summer and is the early favorite to succeed Gov. Rick Perry.
Perry is not seeking re-election after 14 years in office.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- President Trump To Sign New Travel Order On Wednesday
- Billionaire Investor Ross Heads Toward Confirmation As Commerce Secretary
- Outlaw, Smoke, Gronk Turn Daytona 500 Into Bash
- ‘Moonlight’ Wins Best Picture At Botched Academy Awards
- Shooting At Dallas Police Substation Renews Calls For Added Security
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures