ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — Texas outfielder Joey Butler has been claimed on waivers by the St. Louis Cardinals. The Rangers designated him for assignment on Monday.
The 27-year-old made his Major League debut on Aug. 7 in Los Angeles. In eight games played, Butler collected four hits and three walks in 12 at bats. His best game in Texas came on Aug. 9, when he was 2-for-3 with two doubles and two runs in Houston.
He spent the majority of the season with Triple-A Round Rock, batting .291 (124-426) with 12 home runs and 51 RBI.
Texas originally selected Butler in the 15th round of the 2008 June Draft.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:
- College Basketball Games of the Week: Kansas, Texas Tech Clash At Top Of Big 12
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: All Basketball, All The Time
- Report: Dennis Smith Jr. Among Players Linked To Impermissible Payments Probe
- 5 Things: USA Women’s Hockey Finally Gets Its Revenge
- Pitcher Jesse Chavez, Rangers Reach $1 Mil, 1-Year Deal