NEW YORK (AP) – Alex Rodriguez has sued Major League Baseball and its commissioner, saying they are trying to destroy his reputation and career.
The lawsuit filed by the New York Yankees third baseman in New York State Supreme Court was made public Friday. It seeks unspecified damages.
The suit claims Commissioner Bud Selig and Major League Baseball have tried to smear Rodriguez’ reputation to “gloss over” Selig’s past inaction and tacit approval of the use of performance-enhancing substances in baseball. The lawsuit says Selig wanted to secure his legacy as the “savior” of America’s pastime.
Rodriguez is appealing a 211-game suspension for violating baseball’s drug agreement and labor contract.
The lawsuit says the suspension will cost him tens of millions of dollars in salary and could prevent him from meeting certain performance goals in his contract worth millions of dollars.
Major League Baseball calls Alex Rodriguez’s lawsuit against the sport a “clear violation” of the confidentiality provisions of the league’s drug program.
In a statement Friday, MLB denied the allegations and called the lawsuit a “desperate attempt” to go around confidentiality rules of the league’s drug agreement with the players’ union.
In a statement of his own, Rodriguez said his legal team is doing what is necessary to vindicate him.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lupe Valdez Wins Democratic Primary Runoff For Governor, Will Face Abbott
- Body Of Exchange Student Killed In Texas School Shooting Arrives In Pakistan
- Colin Allred To Face Rep. Pete Sessions After Winning Democratic Primary Runoff
- Houston Astros Honor Texas School Shooting Victims
- Family Of Dallas Officer Injured In Home Depot Shooting Speaks About Her Recovery
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures