DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Hundreds of people wanting immigration reform staged a rally and march Saturday afternoon in Dallas. It was part of what was billed as a “National Day of Dignity and Respect.” The rally ended at the Cathedral Guadelupe in downtown Dallas.
Participants in the rally spent the afternoon showing their support for what they call comprehensive immigration reform.
“I’m a father of four kids; I think we deserve a change because personally I consider myself a good citizen. I think people like me would make a change,” said participant Andres Esparza.
The rally started at Reverchon Park in Dallas’ Oaklawn area. Organizers not only asked people to sign up for future activities, they also urged people who are eligible to register to vote. They said the current laws risk breaking up families by deporting people whose immigration status may be in question.
“There’s still hope and they need to realize that every one of us has a say-so in what Congress is doing; even if we can’t vote we can have kids that can vote and parents that can vote, and so on and so forth. So we need to push those people that can vote for people that are trying to separate our families — to vote them out,” said event speaker Maria Robles.
Following several speeches from Robles and others, hundreds of people joined the march from Reverchon Park into downtown. Robles said the march shows people who may be here illegally that they don’t have to fear repercussions from being involved in similar events.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Stars Fall To Capitals In Overtime 4-3
- New Wave Of Sightings Marks Ongoing Effort To Capture Plano’s Stray Dogs
- British Prime Minister Theresa May To Visit Trump Friday
- Many Arrested Inauguration Day Protesters Will Face Felony Rioting Charges, Prosecutors Say
- Community Welcomes Home Wylie Football Player Who Had Stroke
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures