FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Thousands of Lockheed Martin workers across the country will not be reporting to work on Monday. That is because they are being furloughed as part of an ongoing budget battle.
The Maryland-based company released a statement saying that about 2,400 workers across the nation — down from an original estimate of about 3,000 workers — have been identified for furlough, beginning on Monday. That number includes people who cannot come in to work because the government shutdown has closed their facility.
Lockheed Martin has facilities in both Fort Worth and Grand Prairie, but company spokesman Ken Ross said that there will be no immediate impact on these North Texas employees.
Furloughed workers have jobs that require government inspections, which cannot be completed at this time, or their projects have received a stop-work order. Around 14,000 people work at the Lockheed Martin facility in Fort Worth constructing F-35 fighter jets. It was announced this weekend that U.S. Department of Defense employees have been deemed essential, and would be returning to work. This move means that the Lockheed Martin facilities in North Texas will still be operating as normal.
If the government shutdown continues longer than anticipated, and the company continues to be affected, Lockheed Martin said that even more workers could be furloughed.
Since the affected workers will be without jobs for an unknown period of time, Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson encouraged them to use vacation time, in order to receive payment and continue benefits.
- Thousands Of People Pay Final Respects To Barbara Bush
- Dallas County Nearly Doubles Couple’s Property Value
- North Korea Says It Has Suspended Nuclear, Missile Testing
- Railroad Commissioner Responds To Dallas Mayor’s Comments
- Former President George Bush Greets Those Saying Goodbye To Former First Lady
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures