FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – Residents of an East Fort Worth Subdivision are upset about proposed plans for low-income apartments to be built nearby. And they are saying it would hurt home values.
The neighborhood is the Bentley Village Estates off Randol Mill. It’s a quiet and quaint neighborhood filled with mature oak trees.
“This neighborhood was developed around the mid 70s,” says Scott Willingham who lives in the neighborhood “I just love the fact that it’s a hidden gem.”
Willingham moved in almost 30 years ago, but he’s now fighting to keep a potential new neighbor out.
Willingham and others say they don’t want more low income housing built along the 8700 block of Randol Mill Road.
Councilwoman Gyna Bivens says there are about 3,000 low income units already there within a one mile radius.
“We just don’t want anything in the area that is going to detract from our home values,” says homeowner Steve Arnett “We have fought other things such as storage sheds and that type of thing. Also, they were trying to put a liquor store in we fought all that and have been successful so far and we hope to be so again.”
Homeowners say they would love to see a grocery store or restaurants there instead of the apartments.
“I still have to take my family to the West side of Fort Worth , Hurst or Arlington to have a casual sit down meal I would love to see us get some restaurants where we can sit down after church after a ball game,” says Willingham.
Councilwoman Bivens says the last thing the area needs is more low income housing and says the area needs diversity in income.
She hopes to meet with a panel of developers about what would be best in the area.
A decision is expected next Tuesday.
CBS 11 News tried to contact Atlantic Housing which is a non-profit wanting to build the apartments, but phone calls have yet to be returned.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- North Dallas Apartment Complex Destroyed By Fire
- Police Arrest Man Who Allegedly Showed His Penis At The Laundromat
- Schools Cancel Some Activities Due To Severe Weather
- Alleged Mastermind Behind Uptown Dentist Murder Remains In Mexico
- Dallas Street Choir Looking For One Million Video “Likes”
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures