Reporting Alice Rios
SOUTHLAKE (KRLD) – Homecoming in Texas is defined by decorative mums and the crowning of a school’s homecoming queen and king. But to one girl in Southlake, the event was an opportunity not to celebrate — but to help those in need.
Destiny Rose is a 15-year-old high school student in Southlake who did something very selfless for homecoming last week. Instead of purchasing a mum, Destiny and a group of friends took that money and donated it to Youth World, a non-profit youth organization that reaches out to “at-risk” children.
“There were four total students that worked together to do this this year,” said Angie, Destiny’s mother. “They are going to feed 16 families full traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We buy all the groceries and then we distribute them the Saturday before Thanksgiving in South Dallas.”
For her actions, we recognize Destiny as our KRLD Community Hero.
- Collin County Weather Slowly Going From Bad To Worse
- Ice And Sleet Creates Hazardous Conditions in Fort Worth
- Winter Weather Disrupts Travel at DFW Airport
- TxDOT Has New Weapon In Icy Road Battle
- CBSDFW.COM Fantasy Football Show: Week 14
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures