Former LB Bart Scott: Kiffin’s Tampa 2 “Is Extinct”
DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) –– In consecutive games against the Broncos and Chargers, the Dallas defense has struggled to contain the opponent’s passing attack.
Former NFL LB and current CBS analyst Bart Scott doesn’t blame the players, but instead believes Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 scheme is at fault.
“That defense…is extinct,” said Scott on New School with Shan & RJ. “It’s going out. It’s great in spots. You can’t major in cover 2 in this league. Quarterbacks are too smart.”
Scott believes that the evolution of the tight-end has contributed to the downfall of the scheme. Athletic, fast tight-ends can too easily find holes in the cover 2 zone.
“It used to be something that you used well within the red-zone because the field has shrunk and you have less field to defend. But if you play that defense in the middle of the field, there are a lot of holes in it.”
You can hear New School with Shan & RJ, weekdays from 5:30-10am on 105.3 The Fan.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:
- Let Other Fantasy Baseball Owners Take Chances On September Call-Ups
- Rookie Spotlight: Vic Beasley Will Be An Every-Down Player For Atlanta Falcons
- Boxing Analyst Steve Farhood: ‘I’d Put Floyd Between Top Ten And 15 All Time’
- Top 5 Wildest Sports Callers Of The Week: August 24th-August 28th
- NCAA Football Preview: Will TCU Win It’s First Outright Big 12 Title?