Mack Brown should have been fired by now.
Every other program that takes itself seriously as a national power would have fired Brown by now. Most observers at this point feel like it’s one if not two years past due.
But the way I see it he’s staying put for at least one more season.
Athletic director Deloss Dodds won’t leave his post until the end of August 2014. Conveniently well after a head coach search could be initiated and concluded.
At the press conference to announce his deicision to retire he was asked about potentially making a change at Head Football Coach. This was his response.
“That’s an answer that will work itself out over the next several weeks. Anything this department does significantly needs to have the hands of the new person.”
Not leaving until late summer + new guy will have his hands on the decision = Mack gets one more year (in my eyes.)
I don’t know maybe there’s something about the process I am missing with but it sure looks like Dodds is sticking around long enough to help Brown get one more chance.
Brown can’t survive on his own anymore. Dodds is retiring. Regents and Alumni who want change are chomping at the bit for change but they don’t have the real power and they don’t want to make it ugly. It’s the kind of compromise that reasonable people in these circumstances would come to.
It’s frustrating to watch. No one or two people should ever be bigger than a program of this importance. One national championship and countless seasons of underachieving is not enough to justify any coach being able to control his own destiny.
It’s not fair but in the world of college football the big winners get more power than makes sense. The only way out in this calendar year is to lose this game and the rest left on the schedule.
We’ll be at the Gas Monkey Bar and Grill in Dallas for a special Red River Broadcast tomorrow 10-2. See Me Beer Me
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- On-Duty Dallas Police Officer Arrested For Suspicion Of DWI
- Oklahoma Bashes Oklahoma State 58-23 In Bedlam
- LSU Defeat Texas A&M 19-7
- Arlington Homicide Detectives Investigating 20-Year-Old Man’s Death
- 23-Year-Old Charged With Murder Following Witness Tip
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures