MONTAGUE COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – A grand jury has indicted 17-year-old Michael Underwood for manslaughter in the shooting death of his friend 18-year-old Nathan Maki.
Maki was killed in early September as he, Underwood and two teenage girls camped in a rural field near Bowie.
Underwood called 911 to report that he had “accidentally shot his best friend.” Underwood told the dispatcher they “were hunting coyotes and he accidentally shot him in the head.”
Listen to Underwood’s 911 Call – Part 1
Listen to Underwood’s 911 Call – Part 2
Investigators found evidence at the scene that the teens had been drinking.
Montague County Sheriff investigators initially classified the shooting as an accident, and only charged Underwood with underage drinking.
Today, a grand jury returned an indictment for manslaughter, a second degree felony, which carries a potential sentence of two to 20 years in jail.
“The Grand Jury was presented all case facts before reaching their decision,” said Paige Williams, District Attorney for Archer, Clay and Montague Counties. “This is a tragedy for all involved. The lesson for everyone is simple: Introducing alcohol into any situation can affect not only your life, but the lives of your friends and family. Nathan’s friends need to remember him before they think of consuming alcohol.”
Underwood’s trial would be scheduled for late 2014.
Maki was a standout senior fullback and leader on Denton’s Guyer High School football team. Hours after his family buried him, they stood on the sidelines for a game played in his honor.
- Libertarians Pick Ex-New Mexico Gov. Johnson For President
- Fire Started By Lightning Consumes Collin County Home
- Depp’s Daughter Defends Him After Abuse Allegations
- Warriors Know Game 7 With Thunder Won’t Be Easy
- Rookie Driver Rossi Stretches Gas To Win Indy 500
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures