Richardson Sees Influx Of E-Cigarette Stores
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
RICHARDSON (CBSDFW.COM) - Richardson has seen an influx in recent weeks in new electronic cigarette stores opening in the city. In the past 10 weeks, at least seven new e-cigarette stores have obtained a permit to open a business in the city. As a result, the city council is considering requiring a special permit for e-cigarette retailers.
Richardson’s assistant city manager, Don Magner, said, “We just want to make sure that is appropriate for that location, that it will complement the other businesses, and it’s something we can be proud of that the community can support.”
Opened two years ago, Vaporescence was the first e-cigarette store in Richardson. Today, it is one of eight. Store manager Tim Faulkner credits the influx in stores with the exploding popularity of e-cigarettes. “It’s a healthier alternative than smoking,” he said.
However, Faulkner said that he is not surprised by the city’s apprehension. “I just think they don’t know what it’s about and they just associate it with cigarettes.”
Two weeks ago, Coexists Vapor opened at a strip mall in Richardson. Owner Randy Bayes said that he was sold on starting an e-cigarettes store when, after 30 years of trying to quit smoking, he finally did when he switched to vapor. “I come across a lot of people who had the same experience,” he said. “Most smokers don’t want to be a smoker, but they end up starting at a young age and they don’t know how to put it down.”
E-cigarettes are battery-powered products that allow users to inhale vapors from a liquid, often called e-juice, by simulating tobacco smoking. E-cigarettes do not contain tobacco but some liquids contain nicotine.
- School Bus Cameras Go Dark In Some North Texas Cities
- Supreme Court Refuses To Block Execution Of Arlington Woman
- AZ Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer Arrested For Domestic Violence
- Romo Explains ‘Back-Tightness’ Absence
- Plano Man Sentenced For Intoxication Manslaughter
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures