MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – Either SMU or Memphis finally will be able to celebrate its first American Athletic Conference victory on Saturday night.
The two former Conference USA members face off Saturday at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in a strong contrast between Memphis’ defensive strength and the Mustangs’ high-powered passing game under quarterback Garrett Gilbert.
Gilbert averages 355 yards passing per game to rank third nationally. He set five single-game school records in SMU’s last game, a 55-52 triple-overtime loss to Rutgers. But SMU (1-4, 0-1 AAC) is allowing a league-high 43.2 points per game.
That doesn’t necessarily mean Memphis will score at will. The Tigers (1-4, 0-2) are averaging only 18.4 points a game. They managed just five field goals last week in a 25-15 loss to Houston.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dak Prescott & DeMarcus Lawrence Lead Cowboys To 28-17 Win
- Cowboys Fans Say Team Did It Right Regarding National Anthem Monday Night
- Task Force Busting Fake License Plates Forced To Shut Down
- Fort Worth Leaders Stick By Police Chief
- Dak Prescott Soars Over Cardinals DB For Touchdown
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures