SMU & Memphis Seek 1st AAC Victories
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – Either SMU or Memphis finally will be able to celebrate its first American Athletic Conference victory on Saturday night.
The two former Conference USA members face off Saturday at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in a strong contrast between Memphis’ defensive strength and the Mustangs’ high-powered passing game under quarterback Garrett Gilbert.
Gilbert averages 355 yards passing per game to rank third nationally. He set five single-game school records in SMU’s last game, a 55-52 triple-overtime loss to Rutgers. But SMU (1-4, 0-1 AAC) is allowing a league-high 43.2 points per game.
That doesn’t necessarily mean Memphis will score at will. The Tigers (1-4, 0-2) are averaging only 18.4 points a game. They managed just five field goals last week in a 25-15 loss to Houston.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Big Rig Drops Beam Near NTE Project
- ‘Dez Watch’ About To Become ‘Watch Dez’
- Greer Talks Rangers & Maytag Promotion
- Texans Prepare For Sales Tax Holiday
- NBA In Africa? ‘Stay Tuned’ For Regular-Season Game
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures