SMU & Memphis Seek 1st AAC Victories
Sports Fan Insider
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Either SMU or Memphis finally will be able to celebrate its first American Athletic Conference victory on Saturday night.
The two former Conference USA members face off Saturday at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in a strong contrast between Memphis’ defensive strength and the Mustangs’ high-powered passing game under quarterback Garrett Gilbert.
Gilbert averages 355 yards passing per game to rank third nationally. He set five single-game school records in SMU’s last game, a 55-52 triple-overtime loss to Rutgers. But SMU (1-4, 0-1 AAC) is allowing a league-high 43.2 points per game.
That doesn’t necessarily mean Memphis will score at will. The Tigers (1-4, 0-2) are averaging only 18.4 points a game. They managed just five field goals last week in a 25-15 loss to Houston.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Rick Perry Joins List Of Political Social Media “Fails”
- Jerry Jones: Cowboys Looking At ‘Uphill Battle’
- DFW-Bound American Airlines Flight Makes Emergency Landing
- High School Students Among Six Killed In Car Crash
- Study: Action-Packed TV Might Make You Snack More
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures