MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Garrett Gilbert threw for 321 yards and two touchdowns, Traylon Shead ran for two more scores and SMU won its first American Athletic Conference game with a 34-29 victory over Memphis on Saturday afternoon.
Gilbert was 27-43 in the game as the Mustangs (2-4, 1-1 AAC) went out to a big lead in the first half and held on as Memphis linebacker Ryan Coleman scored on a pair of fumble recoveries — one from 15 yards and the other for 19 yards — in the second half. The Tigers (1-5, 0-3 AAC) had penalties negate two other fourth-quarter scoring plays.
Gilbert threw touchdown passes of 79 and 8 yards in the game. Shead ran for 83 yards and both of his touchdowns came on 1-yard runs.
Memphis quarterback Patrick Lynch completed an 8-yard touchdown pass to Mose Frazier as time ran out for the final score.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Storm Chasers Honor ‘Twister’ Star Bill Paxton With GPS Tribute
- Police Say More Than 100 Jewish Cemetery Headstones Damaged
- Jordan Peele’s ‘Get Out’ Scares Up Big $30.5 Million Debut
- Joseph Wapner, Star Of ‘The People’s Court,’ Dies At 97
- Officer Hospitalized After Vehicle Crashes Into Patrol Car
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures