Dallas’ Central Christian Church Celebrates 150 Years

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Mayor Mike Rawlings joined members of the Central Christian Church Sunday for its 150th anniversary worship service. Central Christian Church is Dallas’ oldest continuously operating Protestant church.

(credit: CBS 11 News)

(credit: CBS 11 News)

Worship at the church began in 1863 (on a site that is now 703 Ross Avenue) when Abraham Lincoln was in the White House. The church was torn down in 1890 to make way for a new Dallas city police station and jail (today the historic building is a law firm), but a historical marker placed on the building in 1938 is a permanent reminder that Dallas’ first church building — Central Christian Church — once occupied the site.

It moved two more times before settling into its current location in 1953 at 4711 Westside Drive in Dallas, adjacent to the western border of the Town of Highland Park.

Sunday’s worship capped a year-long celebration of Central’s Sesquicentennial year.

(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Latest News:

Top Trending:

The Taz Show

Listen Live