DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Voters across Texas can now start heading to the polls before the November 5 election. Early voting begins at 8:00 a.m. on Monday morning. But there is a change in effect this year. Texans must now have a valid form of identification in order to cast their ballots.
The new rules apply for all state elections going forward. In most cases, it simply means that voters will need to have a valid driver’s license with them in order to cast a vote. But there are some other options for eligible voters who do not have a driver’s license. They can get what is called an ‘election identification certificate.’ Those are being issued at Department of Public Safety offices.
Voters can also use a concealed handgun license issued by the Texas DPS, a U.S. military identification card with photo, a U.S. passport or a U.S. citizenship certificate with photo. Those without any of those forms of ID can get the ‘election identification certificate.’ They are issued only to eligible voters who do not have another valid form of identification.
Texans will be voting on nine constitutional amendments including authorizing the State Legislature to give some property tax exemptions for homes donated to partially disabled veterans or their spouses. Another proposal on this year’s ballot would pay for water infrastructure projects using $2 billion from the state’s Rainy Day Fund.
Early voting ends November 1. Get more information about voting in Texas, including details about the ‘election identification certificate.’
- Police Chase Goes Through Four North Texas Counties, Ends In Waco
- Video May Identify Texas A&M University Students Accused Of Yelling Racist Slurs
- Fake Online Florists Causing Problems For Legitimate Businesses, Customers
- 12-Year-Old Pens Uplifting Essay A Day Before She Dies
- Dallas Police Officer Celebrated For Calm Under Fire
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures