FWISD Investigating Allegations Of Teacher’s Racism
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Fifth graders at a Fort Worth elementary school told their parents a teacher separated them by race, and then insulted them and their families. The Fort Worth Independent School district said in a statement it was aware of the allegations, and would take appropriate action after the facts are known.
Parents said the incident happened in a music class Friday at Hazel Harvey Peace Elementary school. Sandra Lee said it was the first thing her daughter told her about after school.
“He called the class stupid, and when he separated the black kids from the white kids, he told the black kids I know where y’all from,” Lee said her daughter told her. “He said I can tell neither one of y’all get punished at home.”
Another student told CBS 11 News that he and some of his classmate were then told to leave the classroom.
Lee, who went to the school Monday to talk to administrators, said she was told all the students gave administrators written statements about the incident.
“It was racist,” Lee said. “Everything that was going on was racist. At that school, at that classroom, with that teacher, it was very racist.”
One parent said it was not the first time students had raised concerns about the music class. Gloria Popoca said several students in her daughter’s class spoke to the administration earlier this school year, after watching a movie in the class with profanity and violence.
In an emailed statement Monday to CBS 11 News, spokesman Clint Bond said “Campus and District leadership have been aware of the allegations since last Friday. Once the facts are known, appropriate action will be taken.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- McKinney To Compete With Neighbors For Retail Business
- Differing Accounts In Fort Worth Officer Involved Shooting
- Wrestling Legend ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper Dies At Age 61
- Reliever Sam Dyson Sent To Rangers By Marlins
- Mavericks Sign Free-Agent Forward Jeremy Evans
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures