ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — An Arlington family says two people broke into their back yard and killed their dog. The Bennett’s also say the whole thing was captured on video.
Pam Bennett says that her son discovered their dachshund Cody in the family’s hot tub late Saturday night. She and her husband were away at the time and her son had been out that evening. The Bennett’s house in Lonesome Dove Estates near Misenhimer Park in south Arlington is equipped with a surveillance video system.
“You can’t see distinct detail, but you can see two individuals,” says Bennett. “You see them throwing the dog in the water. You see the dog trying to get out of the water. You can see all of this happening.”
She says that the video shows the two people then going over a fence into the neighbor’s yard.
Arlington Police are investigating this as an animal cruelty case. Department spokesperson Tiarra Richard says that a criminal trespass charge may also be appropriate.
“Our detectives are looking at what would have led someone to, first of all, enter someone’s back yard,” says Richard. “Was this targeted towards the dog? Was this targeted towards the family? Was this a crime of opportunity?”
Richards say that police are not going to release the video, for now.
Bennett has also reached out to PETA, which is considering offering a reward if Arlington PD’s investigation needs a boost.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Multi-Vehicle Crash Kills Motorcyclist
- Mansfield Student Says She Was Offered Ride By Strange Man
- Something New For Fletcher’s Corny Dogs
- FAFSA Opens Application 3 Months Early!
- Carrollton Student Struck By Pickup On Way To School
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures