Special Needs Students Cheer At Lake Dallas High School
CORINTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Chants and cheers filled the gym inside Lake Dallas High School Friday afternoon in Corinth.
Excited students, anxious football players and cheerleaders were all part of the high school’s pep rally, but the cheer team wasn’t a typical one.
This team was made up of special needs students who cheered for the very first time in front of an excited crowd.
“I like that I get to cheer for the Falcones,” said Lyndsey Jones with the Lake Dallas Emeralds.
Carney Porter celebrated the moment when the special needs students participated in the pep rally.
The Senior at Lake Dallas High School and varsity cheerleader worked closely with the squad and her own cheer coach to make the event happen.
“I see the joy in their face when we learn new cheers and go over them in practice,” said Porter. “They exceeded all my expectations. They were awesome! I’m so proud!”
Porter and her cheer coach came up with the idea after hearing that some of the special needs students wanted to be cheerleaders.
“I might get choked up because its warmed my heart a lot,” said Head Cheer Coach Kim Dennis while holding back tears, “They love it and they embrace everyday.”
The squad only has five students right now including Dawson Craig.
He wanted to join so he could be closer to his brother who’s on the football team.
Lyndsey Jones just wanted to cheer and her mom couldn’t be more proud.
“It gives her a chance to shine,” said Laura Jones “It gives her a chance to be a part of and know she is special and important and valued.”
The Lake Dallas Emeralds will enter the spotlight again Friday night as they cheer on their Falcons at the school’s home football game.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Garland Police On Muhammad Exhibit Shooting: “We Were Prepared”
- Keidel: Pacquiao Should Pack It In
- 2 Dead In Shooting At Muhammad Art Exhibit In Garland
- Hit And Run Accident In North Dallas Turns Deadly
- Victims In Fort Worth Armed Robbery Spree Speak Out
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures