Crews Busy Working On I-30 Construction Drainage System
FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) crews are working non-stop on a drainage system along Interstate-30 in Fort Worth.
Part of the interstate near the Chisholm Trail Parkway construction zone was covered in water after this past weekend’s downpour.
NTTA officials say the heavy rains overwhelmed the drainage system. “We put in crews to dig some more channels to start to move that water away,” explained Michael Rey with the NTTA. “They are digging trenches and channels to keep the water from moving up on the barricades as they did this past weekend.”
A quick drive to downtown Fort Worth became tricky for Martin Ramirez. He says water came up to half of his wheel and he already has problems driving through the narrow and curvy section of interstate. “It’s just dangerous because it pulls you to the sides you have to hang on to the steering wheel,” says Ramirez “It’s good they are fixing it.”
Crews are also hurrying over to heart of downtown. Sundance Square Plaza, which will include fountains, a pavilion, new restaurants and retail, is set to open with a big party Friday morning.
At one point, a big tent covered part of the work project because of weather concerns, but crews removed it Wednesday afternoon.
“We’ve got somewhere between 250 to 300 workers on the site at any time,” explained Johnny Campbell, President and CEO of Sundance Square.
Come rain or shine the Sundance Square Plaza will be open in time.
As for the drainage work on I-30, crews will be working through the night to make sure the trenches are ready to handle the new round of heavy rains on Wednesday. “Our hope is that these drainage channels will move the water away before it even gets to be an issue,” Rey said optimistic.
NTTA officials say it’s a temporary fix for the drainage problem — given the project changes every day.
Despite the weather delays the $1.4 billion project, that is raising and moving I-30, is still on schedule.
- Doctors: Play It Safe When Christmas Decorating
- Banks Declining Purchases For Protection But Frustrate Customer
- Mavs Travel North To Face Raptors
- Stars Look To Extend Winning Streak Against Wild
- One Dead After Fort Worth Apartment Fire
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures