DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — A “suspicious package” was discovered near the Bush Presidential Library on the SMU campus on Tuesday morning, forcing students and faculty to avoid the area.
The university confirms that the area has been cleared and the threat has ended.The small package was located in the parking lot of the library around 8 a.m., triggering protocols to lock down the facility.
SMU police collaborated with Dallas Fire-Rescue to clear the threat.
“We called in our bomb squad who did some x-rays on the package,” said Dallas Fire-Rescue PIO Jason Evans. “At that point, they determined that that package was not dangerous at the time. There was nothing significant inside.”
The threat prompted the closing of the Bush Center, Moody Coliseum and Crum Basketball Center while authorities investigated the package. All other classes and normal business operations continued.
WATCH: BOMB SQUAD INVESTIGATES PACKAGE
The Bush Center has since returned to normal operations.
A spokesman for President George W. Bush confirms that the former president is out of town.
The Bush Library opened on May 1, a week after a dedication ceremony featuring comments from Bush and President Barack Obama, along with former Presidents Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and Bush’s father, George H.W. Bush.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Report: Former Cowboys WR Terry Glenn Killed In Early Morning Car Accident
- Franken Cut From PBS Letterman Tribute After Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- Woman Hurt By Takata Air Bag Urges Owners To Get Cars Fixed
- Onlookers Gather As Iconic Georgia Dome Imploded In Downtown Atlanta
- Cowboys Boss Jerry Jones Demands Goodell ‘Accountability,’ Won’t ‘Pipe Down’
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures