Sundance Plaza Finishes On Time, Opens To Crowds
FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – Fort Worth’s unveiling of Sundance Plaza followed a frenzied, around the clock construction effort to finish on deadline.
The crowds who gathered for the ceremonies Friday were collectively impressed by dancing water that shot up through more than 200 jets in an interactive fountain, huge umbrellas offering 6,000 square feet of shade, a permanent stage and plenty of room to stroll around.
“You can envision from parties, to weddings, to runs, to yoga, everything going on,” said Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price. “Children dancing in the fountains. We’ve always talked about Sundance Square. But we didn’t have a square. And now we have a square.”
The visitors to Sundance Plaza used the space to relax around its fountain and wave pool and under its massive umbrellas. But Fort Worth plans on using the square in other ways.
“We will use this plaza, this space, in order to pitch new conventions coming to the convention center, in order to pitch new businesses coming here, in order to pitch new hotels that want to build hotels in downtown Fort Worth,” explained council member Joel Burns, who represents the area. “This will be the place we pitch them from.”
There are two new buildings on the east and west sides of Sundance Plaza for office and retail space. The space is leasing out almost as fast as construction crews complete it. The early success of the development is catching the attention of investors.
“Our occupancy rate is still tight but we have some space for people to move downtown,” said Andrew Taft with Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. “And I think we’re going to see new buildings built in the next few years.”
- 30 Players: Semien Looks To Break Out With A’s
- Truck Crashes Into Fort Worth Business, Killing Woman
- Dallas DA Speaks At SMU, Briefly Addresses Difficult Week
- Texas Has Its Own Religious Freedom Law
- Haltom City Neighbors Upset Of Property Purchase By Televangelist
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures