Family Of Murdered Greenville Teen Celebrates Her Life
Get Breaking News First
GREENVILLE (CBS 11 NEWS) - One year ago the Moore family asked for prayers, when Alicia Moore,16, disappeared after she stepped off a bus just around the corner from her Greenville home.
Today, the family continued their prayers, at a vigil celebrating her life.
Four days after she disappeared, her body was found in a trunk in Van Zandt County. Her family said they believed she was the victim of a random attack. But on the sixth month anniversary of her disappearance, there was a break in the case.
“About 9 or 10 o’clock that night, that’s when we got the news they was in Grand Prairie about to arrest my uncle,” said Jessica Byrd, Alicia Moore’s aunt.
Michael Vincent Moore, 57, was arrested and charged with capital murder after DNA evidence found on Alicia Moore’s body and the trunk she was found in, linked him to the case.
The family spoke Saturday for the first time about the revelation.
“Very hard, very close member of the family. My mom’s brother. He wasn’t, like, a distant uncle,” Byrd said. “He had his passion for baking cupcakes and things and he was just teaching [Alicia] how to do that.”
Saturday, dressed in Alicia’s favorite color, purple, friends and family said only their faith could have gotten them through this difficult time.
“They are real strong to be able to stand through this time. That shows a lot of character in them and it shows a lot of faith they have in God,” said Minister Phillip Williams of St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church.
Now their only solace is honoring the memory of the girl they loved so much.
“I really miss her, that was my one niece. We did a lot together,” Byrd said. “And since then I’ve been trying to keep her name and her story alive.”
Michael Moore remains in jail under a $10 million bond. He pleaded not guilty to capital murder. His next scheduled court date is Dec. 4th.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- How To Pay: Credit Vs. Debit?
- Kimbell Museum Acquires Dutch Landscape Masterpiece
- False Fire Alarms Routine At North Texas Apartment Complex
- Stars Game Halted, Then Postponed After Player Collapses
- Natural Gas Industry Struggles To Keep Promises
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures